Not all workplace presentations are long, formal talks given to large external audienceZuhörer(innen)audiences. Many are short, internal presentations that take place within a regular team meeting or a meeting of head of departmentAbteilungsleiter(in)heads of departments. Such presentations often to outline sth.etw. (kurz) darstellenoutline a problem, present results or simply to provide an updateeinen aktualisierten Überblick über etw. gebenprovide an update about the status of a project.
Useful phrases for internal presentations
A. Giving background information
- I’d like to talk to you about our/the… project.
- This shouldn’t take more than about… minutes.
- We started this project… weeks/months ago.
- As you know, this is a key project.
- This project will enable us to…
- As you (probably) know, we’re now in stage… of this project.
- We’ve already started the main part of stage…
B. Giving updates
- As you might remember, we had some problems with…
- However, we’ve to encounter sth.auf etw. stoßenencountered some problems.
- Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to…
- We haven’t solved this issueProblemissue yet.
C. Checking understanding by asking questions
- Is everyone with me so far?etwa: Ist so weit alles klar?Is everyone with me so far?
- Is that clear?
- Do you follow me?
- Do you see what I mean?
- Does that make sense?
- Are there any more/further questions at this point?
- Shall I go through those figures again?
D. Asking for support
- I need some help with…
- I need some help in getting…
- Does anyone know how to… ?
- Can you please talk to… ?
E. Talking about the next steps
- Our next step needs to be…
- We need the support of…
- Can we extend the current deadline(s)?
- I’m sure we can to get back on schedulewieder im Zeitplan seinget back on schedule soon.
- Let’s to follow up(die Sache) weiterverfolgenfollow up individually after this meeting.
As you read Ulrike’s presentation below, think about the answers to these questions:
- How does Ulrike make sure that everyone can follow her from the beginning?
- What does Ulrike say in order to get others to focus on her news about the project?
- How does Ulrike turn her focus to the future of the project?